Welcome....

I'm All About Glam, Love to Stay Fit and Live to Be Healthy.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Daily Question: How should my plate look on Thanksgiving and what foods should I avoid? How am I able to enjoy dessert and family/peer pressure to eat more?


Eat some cake Anna Mae? Anna Mae, Eat the cake!! That’s what we hear during family holiday dinners when Aunt Emma offers a third slice of pound cake. Here’s 5 tips to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner without all the guilt.  This reader has a 3 part question but I’ll tackle this the best I can.


1. Pile up on the veggies...
Just recently, I gave my friend tips on food selections.  If the food choices are creamy, it’s probably not the most nutritious choice.  Instead, pile your plate with green beans, greens, corn on the cob and treat yourself to a little rice.  

Remember, Thanksgiving is a holiday, so moderation is key.  Don’t deprive yourself because it will build cravings.  Instead, use this rule of thumb:  Grab a fork full each dish, what ever you can pick up with one scoop of your fork that’s the one...you can eat!

2. You get one plate, use it wisely!
*Crickets, Crickets* Any readers still there?  You heard me, no second helpings.  If you can’t maximize the space of opportunity on your intital plate, I don’t know what to tell you.  Sometimes our mouths are bigger than our guts. The average Thanksgiving dinner equates to 3000 calories.  Be afraid!!  In addition, most people snack hours before Thanksgiving which equates to another 1500-2000 calories. I would suggest prior to attending your family dinner to enjoy a nice healthy salad, fruit or veggie platter to feel full the empty space prior to “the big meal.”

3. Walk away from anything creamy
If I had to be the bearer of bad news, the only foods I would avoid are creamy food items.  Macaroni and cheese, ranch dressing, sour cream...I can’t even think of any other examples but these are traditionally required for Thanksgiving .  If it’s creamy and delicious, it’s not good for you.  Creamy foods usually are swimming in fat and high calories.

4. Be firm but polite, learn to re-project criticism from family members
I understand how family will lay the pressure to eat and eat more.  I also understand, some people find it rude to pass on their food dish.  However, politely tell them, I’m really focused on not overindulging but I’ll try a bite!  Simple as that, one bite has never hurt anybody and move on. The family will increase respect for your healthy options as time goes by. Hey! you might influence some too.

5. I’m a sucka for sweets but we have to be strong
All my friends KNOW, one cupcake from Crumbs and I’m giving up the goods but I will only eat one.  Thanksgiving is more than a day of good food, it’s a day for family togetherness and to be thankful. Be proud of yourself for committing to your health all year.  Be greatful, you have the willpower to make better nutritional choices.  Be excited to enjoy one slither of dessert!!  Go ahead, I’m giving you a pass.  Be realistic in your expectations for yourself.  Don’t be too hard on yourself this time of year.

My best advice for everyone for Thanksgiving, is to enjoy this day.  Make mindful of your food decisions and what you choose to eat, if your gym is open (24 Hour Fitness is open on Thanksgiving!!) get in a workout in the early morning and hit the gym tomorrow!  Why not burn off a few extra calories to counteract the extra calories you will consume on Thursday. Once Monday approaches, get back on track with your lifestyle plan.  We’re going to find ourselves in social situations centered around food.  Don’t deprive yourself, have fun!  This is a lifestyle not a diet. 

3 comments:

  1. Ok. Miss Bailey...This is a good one, but only a forkful? UGH! But I guess that is what I will do. Greens are boring and turkey is dry...So u know I will have my rice and mac n cheese! But I will be sure to use a BIG fork...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your family is anything like mine a fork full of everything is a lot!!! Maneuver that fork, you'll be surprised how much you can scoop.

    ReplyDelete