Welcome....

I'm All About Glam, Love to Stay Fit and Live to Be Healthy.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What is a Clean Diet?


It's funny, when I tell people I try to maintain a Clean Diet , in return, how many people reply to me "I eat clean too!"  Usually, most people define clean eating as a diet with no pork or beef.  (Insert confused face here) 
When it's time to place an order for food, I'll order grilled chicken, mixed green salad topped with lemon juice and rice while a friend will order a vegetable pizza, mozzarella sticks and proudly say to me "See, I eat clean too!"

A clean diet simply defined is non-processed or minimally processed foods. Eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from junk.  A diet with a heavier emphasis on plant based and freshly prepared foods.  I'm not perfect, I suffer from a few guilty pleasures but for the most part, I eat foods I can easily distinguish the ingredients.

Here's an example - Coke Zero
Sounds Healthy, Right?! It's only 0 calories.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

Can anyone tell me, what is Phosphoric acid?
No worries, I'll tell you.  It's an additive that gives soda a tangy flavor and makes it more acid than lemon juice or vinegar.  A vast amount of sweetener is then used to mask and balance the acidity.  Phosphoric acid has been linked to lower bone density.

Instead, try reaching for a nice cold glass of water with a lemon slice.  It's so refreshing and SAFE! For those of you looking for another option, tea.

Let's work together to make better food choices.

Next week, we'll explore other minimally processed foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment